The time has finally come to unravel our own corporate blogging engine! You may ask - why write a new blog engine when there are many good ones out there? Well, the answer may be quite surprising: we used this web project to try out a couple things we had been working on for developing web applications in a more rapid and functional way. You will surely see me blog more about what we came up with, for now here are the main highlights of this current blog engine.
- Written almost entirely in F# (with some C# UI code)
- Supports an extensible component-based markup language implemented using F# computation expressions
- Basic markup primitives include formatted code (F#), figures with captions, nested lists, images with thumbnails, and free-flow HTML text.
- A web-based editor to construct articles using configurable components or via typing markup text directly.
- Preview and various rendering functionality in the editor.
- Tagging articles - just drag&drop your tags to mark your articles.
- Category support to divide articles into categories - we support blog entries and larger, separate online articles.
- Multiple publishing levels - save your work for internal use, publish to authorized users, or make available to the rest of the world.
- Manage comments - review comments by article or by person, remove spam comments, check for malicious activity
- A digital asset manager - upload your images, videos, presentations, set preview options in a uniform manner
- Administer authors and published content with a few clicks
- And a lot more!
We will be blogging more about some of the more exotic features and posting screenshots of how things work. So beware world - our blog is now open! If you have a comment be sure to leave it here - we would love to hear from you.